SKYWARN

Go Back   SKYWARN ONLINE - Storm Spotter Forum > General > General Discussion
Home Register Site Rules Forums Links Today's Posts

Online Users: 44
0 members and 44 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 484, 05-29-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Register for free today!
Thanks for visiting our forums. Click here to register to join in on the conversations!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Dust Devil

Smile Weather Stations search

hey everyone! :-)

i am going to replace my wx station. i have the Davis Instr. Vantage Pro. i am leaning toward the Vantage Pro 2 for the replacement. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations of weather stations, what you have, what is reliable, etc.

appreciate your help and suggestions very much.
thank you for your time!
christina :-)

Sponsored Links:
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Dust Devil

Provide us with a little more info and we may be able to offer better suggestions. Let's start with this, would this be a home base system or mobile? Also what do you ultimately want to do with your system? If it's a base system then do you want to be able to upload data to a web site or just track it for your own purposes? If it's a mobile site (like in your car) then what kind of data do you want to capture? Will you also use a laptop with it in the car? Stuff like that will help us in our suggestions.

Personally, I'm envious of you for having the Davis already. All I have is a cheapy Natl. Geographic model. The Vantage Pro 2 is a sweet system and I wouldn't complain about having one. I'm slowly in the process of saving up for a new Pro 2 system but I'm not that great with saving. It would be my base system as I would like to grab the data from it and be able to post it on a web page.

Recently I discovered a company called Peet Bros. whom have some really nice systems as well. Their interface is smaller than the others and you have to toggle through the different screens but for a mobile application I think it would be perfect. It's not very big and would fit on a dashboard perfectly without taking up a lot of space. Plus you can download the data to a computer.

I hope this helps some.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Incredible Tornado

I have had a Peet Bros 2100 for a few years and love it. Its not wireless but than it sends a constant flow of data when compared to a wireless unit.

The folks there are good to work with as well.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Dust Devil

Default Weather Station

I read your post - I've been thinking about getting the MFJ-198RC, which can be found on page 53 of the PDF version of the new MFJ catalog available online at http://www.mfjenterprises.com/catalog.php. I know that it's not a Davis, but it seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Frankly, weather stations are of secondary importance to me, my main focus is ham radio equipment. I don't mind reporting storms and potentially violent weather conditions, but when it comes to forecasting, I'm satisfied getting my info from weather.com!

Let me know what you tihik about the MFJ station.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Incredible Tornado

MFJ station sounds sweet, but I wonder how long the wireless solar batteries would last? Interesting...
Old 04-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Dust Devil

Lacrosse is the best for all around use but I personally favor the Oregon scientific one. It has a rain gauge as well as a wind vain

Never Forget 4/27/11

Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Dust Devil

Great thread and info. I am thinking about purchasing a weather station as well.

Skywarn Spotter since April 11, 2012