SKYWARN

Go Back   SKYWARN ONLINE - Storm Spotter Forum > Educational and Technical > Technical Discussions
Home Register Site Rules Forums Links Today's Posts

Online Users: 28
0 members and 28 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 484, 05-29-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Register for free today!
Thanks for visiting our forums. Click here to register to join in on the conversations!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Severe Tornado

Default Looking for new video camera

OK so I am completely mind numbed right now. I have been looking at video cameras all day. I want to mount a video camera in my car for recording the storm experiences when I'm out chasing/spotting. Well my original natural idea was to get a camcorder that was SD card based. This not only allows me to use it for storm chasing but perhaps the occasional special occasion or family trips and outings.

The downside with camcorders is I have $200 to spend and unless you spend $300/$400+ your not going to get a camera that is even descent. You kind of have to pick what your willing to deal with. They seem to have one or more issues such as...
*Poor video quality (soft images, blurry, etc.)
*Not true HD (I want HD)
*Poor sound/Sensitive to wind
*Poor Image Stabilization
*Jerkyness when camera pans
*The ability to attach a wide angle lens, if it doesn't come with one.
*The list goes on.

Well I came across the Contour HD and am considering that. It's got awesome reviews and I could use it for storm chasing/spotting and my other hobby, Airsoft. In addition I suppose it could be used somehow for outings and such. It also doesn't look like it has that constant fisheye effect like the GoPro cams have.

So anyone have experience with the Contour cams? Anyone have any great reviews of a camcorder that is HD and uses SD cards that they would recommend? I would Like to eventually stream from my car but for now I just want to be able to capture video/audio and not have the audio be drowned by wind and such.

Thanks much for any help and advice with this.

Sponsored Links:
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Incredible Tornado

I have been getting info for you on my laptop. Please send a reply to that PM. If you are not intersted in a laptop anymore I may try to sell elsewhere.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Severe Tornado

Well my search may have just come to a sudden stop. I did some more research and jumped onto an audio/video forum I am quite familiar with. One of the folks there directed me to the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX9V camera. Yes this is a point and shoot but it takes 1080i/90p video (the latest and greatest HD standard right now) and it looks AMAZING. Out of the $300 camcorders I have found I have not seen video that even comes close to this camera. It has a lot of the features I am looking for (or better) and even some I wasn't looking for like 3D and GPS. I may never use the 3D but the GPS is cool and may come in handy when spotting. Anyway I thought I would share my excitement and the result of my research in case there are others in the same boat as I.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Incredible Tornado

I have owned Sony cameras before and was ALWAYS pleased.