SKYWARN

Go Back   SKYWARN ONLINE - Storm Spotter Forum > General > General Discussion
Home Register Site Rules Forums Links Today's Posts

Online Users: 26
0 members and 26 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 484, 05-29-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Register for free today!
Thanks for visiting our forums. Click here to register to join in on the conversations!
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Dust Devil

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Default Warning Lights pt. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamgast1
I am some-what new to SkyWarn. I have known about it for about a year now and have finally gotten the time away from work to take a class to become a member. I am currently a driver for a local volunteer fire department member and I was wondering...In the state of VA, when SkyWarn is activated, I know I am allowed to use warning lights to notify other drivers of my actions whether I am parked on the side of the road, or taking turns, but what colors am I allowed to use on my lightbar or responder light? I currently have red for the fire department, but I have read online of spotters using green as a responder light color for SkyWarn. Is there an official color, or can I just use red without getting in trouble? Thanks for all the help.
Hello. I also live in VA, and my dad is a police officer. From what he has told me, you can use any color but red and blue(and maybe not white either). When I get some lights for my truck, I am going to use orange, because I KNOW orange is legal. But, you may want to check with somebody else just to make sure. Hope this helps!

Tyler

Sponsored Links:
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Dust Devil

Send a message via AIM to williamgast1 Send a message via MSN to williamgast1

Thanks. Which part of VA are you from?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Community Leader

No, you cannot use red, blue, white, or any other official (fire, police) type light, unless you are acting as part of your department. If you Cpt., Lt, Chief wants you to go out and warn people, and he authorizes you to use your emergency lights then you can use them. But being a spotter by itself doesn't allow you to use any of the these lights.

Amber is usually a private citizen/company warning light. But as mentioned previously, before you use anything, check out your local laws to make sure you're not breaking any.

Dave
Old 04-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Dust Devil

Default Waring lights pt 2

In the state of Georgia the national Wearther service has told us that Purple Is the offical Color. But we can run Amber, White and purple
Jackson County, Georgia
Old 04-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Dust Devil

I know that you can use the clear lightbars but can you run alternating head and taillights in Arkansas? I'm not talking about strobes but the ones that go side to side?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Community Leader

For the most accurate information please check your own state laws. Every state is different and some are more strict than others.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Incredible Tornado

FYI-illinois

no lights are to be used other than those already on the vehicle (oem). no light bars, alternating head/tail lights, strobes etc. of any color. red/blue/white are emergency colors. even if they are off-you can still get in trouble.

white/ amber lights up front and red/ amber lights in back(head llights, turn signals, taillights and reverse lights--naturally). flashers are to be used for emergency use only. (so you can run those during the storm--and when on the side of the road)

yellow lights are reserved for official work trucks that are designated to have them. anything not designated (road construction crews/ tow trucks) allowable to have them--the lights are for off-road use only (ie: car shows)

let me know if you want the official statute. i have it.

-----having said that, don't just go get lights to put on your vehicle to make it look more important. ussually in a time of crisis (in the strike zone) a simple amber light would suffice as it would draw enough attention on the side of the road and it can be used as a warning light when you're parked--but only when you're parked. if you strap 14 strobes and a light bar in and around your chase vehicle--it's going to draw the attention of law enforcement--its a common sense thing.

nothing looks worse than a guy who spent $1000 on lights to add to his vehicle--but has no clue what to do, or the knowledge to help out when necessary. you can't drive with the lights on and make people think you are there to help--it gives them false hope--especially when they have severly injured people around them. don't make them think that you are coming to their rescue--unless you really are.

it really is common sense--
Old 04-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Dust Devil

Send a message via AIM to cbergy21 Send a message via MSN to cbergy21 Send a message via Yahoo to cbergy21

Couldn't agree more with you on that one.

Put yourself in other peoples situation...how would you feel if you have severely injured people around you, and yourself are injured enough where you cant move. You just happen to see some fool with flashing lights on it. You try and wave them down...and they go right past the town. It really is a common sense thing, such as directory said it was.

Skywarn is storm spotting. If your worried about stobes and such as those lights, go into law enforcement, where you can use them. If you want to have lights, your car or truck has the perfect solution for you - hazard lights. You dont need stobes or flashing lights on your truck to make you feel important, helping out your community the legal way will get you some credit.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Incredible Tornado

Well it sucks to be in Illinois! Hahahaha. In Oklahoma, if you are a police officer or fire personel, it doesn't matter what you are doing, you are authorized to use red and blue. You wear a weapon at all times, on duty and off, because you are sworn to uphold the law, not just when you are at work. There was some debate over this years ago, regarding jurisdiction, and whether an officer was bound by law to act in the event of witnessing a crime, even when out of jurisdiction and unarmed. The bottom line was, being licenced by the state, you carry state wide, Badges, weapons, and any other emergency equipment you deem necessary. The bottom line here is your Chief. What does HE say. I disagree with some of you, and feel that warning lights are a necessary inconvenience for stormspotting. When I am stationery or mobile, in a hail storm or shrouded in heavy precipitation, I want people to know I am there...period. But that may be the cop in me. I just feel its being safety minded. Ambers and strobes are far from impersonating with reds and blues and LEDs. Use common sense. Be Safe. Respect Law Enforcement.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Incredible Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTracker257
Well it sucks to be in Illinois! Hahahaha. In Oklahoma, if you are a police officer or fire personel, it doesn't matter what you are doing, you are authorized to use red and blue. You wear a weapon at all times, on duty and off, because you are sworn to uphold the law, not just when you are at work. There was some debate over this years ago, regarding jurisdiction, and whether an officer was bound by law to act in the event of witnessing a crime, even when out of jurisdiction and unarmed. The bottom line was, being licenced by the state, you carry state wide, Badges, weapons, and any other emergency equipment you deem necessary. The bottom line here is your Chief. What does HE say. I disagree with some of you, and feel that warning lights are a necessary inconvenience for stormspotting. When I am stationery or mobile, in a hail storm or shrouded in heavy precipitation, I want people to know I am there...period. But that may be the cop in me. I just feel its being safety minded. Ambers and strobes are far from impersonating with reds and blues and LEDs. Use common sense. Be Safe. Respect Law Enforcement.
it's not a matter of impersonating a cop, it's a matter of illinois law which states what you can and can't have on a vehicle. i woulld believe there is also a vehicle statute that states certian lights/colors of lights are for certain vehicles. official law enforcement or not.

we have laws here that tell us what lights can or can't be on the vehicles. i'm sure all the states have a similiar law.
Closed Thread